Amber Valley Info

This is the profile page for The Village Of Milford | Visit this profile page for more information.





 













 

The Village Of Milford

Categories: Local Information

This Entry Has Not Been Confirmed
Click Here To Confirm Details For This Entry

Milford is a village in Derbyshire, England, on the River Derwent, between Duffield and Belper on the A6 trunk road.

Until the end of the 18th century it was no more than a few houses near the point, about a quarter of a mile further south, where a roman road from the Wirksworth lead mines forded the river. The road still exists as it passes across the Chevin hill and descends into the village by what is now Sunny Hill. It is thought to have then proceeded along the east bank of the river to the Roman garrison of Derventio, in what is now Derby where it connected with Rykneld Street.

However, next to it was Makeney where, in 1554, Burchard Kranich built the first Smeltmill for extracting lead from its ore. Then, in 1581 Sir John Zouch of Codnor Castle set up a wire drawing works. This followed the opening of a works in Hathersage in 1566 where Christopher Schutz, a German immigrant, had invented a process for drawing wire. Hathersage became a centre for wire drawing and, later, needle making.

Of Makeney, it was written in 1817, Makeney, a hamlet of [the parish of Duffield ], (Machenie), is described in the Domesday Survey as one of the manors of Henry de Ferrars. It is now considered as parcel of the manor of Duffield.
About 700 hands are employed by Messrs. Strutt in the spinning and bleaching of cotton, at Millford, a populous manufacturing village in this parish.

There is a Unitarian chapel at Millford, supported by Mr. Strutt; who supports also a Lancasterian school, in which the numbers are about 300: a room to accommodate about 400 is now building at Millford. The girls in this school, and that at Belper, are taught to sew, cut out, &c. as well as to read and write. A chapel has lately been erected here for the Wesleyan Methodists.

The Royal Mint had acquired the rights to Schutz' process in 1568 and set out to restrict its use to the Company of Mineral and Battery Works. However, the works continued supplying the Belper nail makers among others and by the time Jedediah Strutt bought it, it consisted of two forges and a slitting and rolling mill, occupying both sides the river. Some of the mill buildings are now the Riverside Garden Centre.

In 1778 Jedediah Strutt built cotton spinning mills after the pattern developed by Richard Arkwright having been in partnership with him when he built the mill at Cromford. Part of the Milford mill still exists as well as much of the workers' housing.

Milford's claim to fame is that one of Strutt's apprentices at Milford was Samuel Slater, who absconded to America carrying Arkwright's system in his head. He settled in Pawtucket, Rhode Island and replicated Arkwright's success.
 
'Milford was in the Domesday Book'
There is some debate about the origin of the name Milford. It is generally reckoned to be a corruption of mule forde and it is so recorded (briefly) in the Domesday Book when it was owned by Henry de Ferrers. There were a number of fords, which probably changed their position as the river changed its course. An old lane leading down to one of them was called "Save Penny Lane," because people who used it, and crossed the ford, saved the penny toll which Messrs. Strutt charged for crossing the bridge they had built. Afterwards, the Strutts had the ford destroyed and the river deepened. At some time, however, Milford was called New Mills. A map of 1787 names the road from Duffield as New Mills Road , and Samuel Slater's indentures as an apprentice record him as living in "New Mills, in the Parish of Duffield"
 


Original information taken from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-----
Distributed under a Creative Commons licence
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0



 



Upload Files Update Listing Search Similar Advertise


Amber Valley Local News


Derbyshire Joins National Appeal For More Adoptive Families Derbyshire residents are being asked to consider whether they could give ... read more

YOUR PICTURES: Derbyshire's strange coloured sky The skies above Derbyshire have certainly got people talking today - and have also m... read more

Derbyshire puppy litter stolen Seven border collie puppies have been stolen from kennels in Derbyshire.... read more

Man confessed to Pets at Home about shooting his dog with a crossbow A mentally-ill man called a Pets at Home store to tell them he h... read more

More news from Amber Valley











Cookies


Find out more about cookies we store on your computer.
Advertising


Find out about advertising on Amber Valley info.
Q R Codes


Find out about and download our QR Codes.
Social Media


Amber Valley Info are on Facebook and Twitter.
Legal Stuff


Read our copy of the sites terms and conditions.
Business Listings in Alfreton, Business Listings in Ripley, Business Listings in Heanor, Business Listings in Belper, Business Listings in Amber Valley, Business Listings in Somercotes, Business Listings in Swanwick, Business Listings in Loscoe, Business Listings in Codnor, Business Listings in Ambergate, Business Listings in Crich, Business Listings in South Wingfield, Business Listings in Denby, Business Listings in Heage, Business Listings in Kilburn, Business Listings in Duffield, Business Listings in Chesterfield, Business Listings in Derby, Business Listings in Nottingham, Business Listings in Derbyshire, Business Listings in East Midlands, Business Listings in Matlock, Business Listings in Ilkeston, Business Listings in Mansfield, Business Listings in Sutton In Ashfield, Business Listings in Kirkby In Ashfield, Business Listings in DE5, Business Listings in DE55, Business Listings in DE56