The Village Of Holloway
Categories: Local Information
Click Here To Confirm Details For This Entry
Dethick, Lea and Holloway is a civil parish (and, since 1899, an ecclesiastical parish), in the Amber Valley borough of the English county of Derbyshire.
It is located in central Derbyshire, south east of Matlock, and, as its name suggests, contains the three main settlements – Dethick, Lea and Holloway, as well as the younger village of Lea Bridge.
The area's most notable family is the Nightingales, who spent the summers there. Florence Nightingale stayed at Lea Hurst, and, during the 1880s, nursed her mother and rendered charitable work in the communities of Lea, Holloway and nearby Whatstandwell.
The largest of the settlements that compose this civil parish is Holloway, at grid reference SK326562. Holloway has a village shop serving the parish, called 'Mayfield Stores'. Additionally, it is home to a doctor's surgery, a Methodist chapel, the Yew Tree public house (closed in 2008), a village butcher and a small art gallery. The southeastern area of the village is known as 'Leashaw', and the collection of houses scattered among the hills to the east is known as 'Upper Holloway'. Leashaw is the location of Lea Hurst, famous for being built by the Nightingale family as their summer home. A cotton mill was built in 1784 at Holloway by Peter Nightingale (a relative of Florence). He was sued by Richard Arkwright for infringement of patents. Although Arkwright won the case, it attracted the attention of the Lancashire pirate spinners, who in the end succeeded in getting the patents revoked. The mills were later sold to Thomas Smedley, whose son founded Smedley's Hydro in Matlock. The mill was converted to spinning worsted.
Although extremely rural, the parish has remained a popular place to live thanks to its relatively strong accessibility for such a small place. The towns of Alfreton, Belper, Matlock and Ripley are all just 15 minutes away. Derby, Chesterfield and Junction 28 of the M1 are also nearby, with journey times of around 25 minutes.
The parish has one pub, a grocery, a butcher, a village hall, a church, a chapel, a Primary school and public toilets. Although the parish is able to receive ADSL Broadband, it does not receive Freeview or channel 5. There is a once-hourly bus route (the 140/141/142) that stops in Lea Bridge, Holloway and Leashaw, connecting the Parish with Matlock, Belper, Ripley and Alfreton.
The parish is home to three main tourist attractions. Firstly, the Coach House at Lea, which is a collection of farm buildings, converted to house an ice cream parlor, gift shop, restaurant, tea rooms, with a limited amount of guest accommodation. The Coach House was famous for its home-made jersey ice cream, the Shaw family having made the ice cream in a large range of flavours. However, in the last eight years ownership has changed twice, and ice cream available now is no longer homemade.
Second, Lea Gardens (also known as Lea Rhododendron Gardens for its extensive collection of this plant) is an open-air landscaped garden, open to the public during the summer months. At its entrance is a small café with indoor & outdoor seating, and a plant shop selling a wide variety of species (only open in summer).
Third, John Smedley's historic clothing mill retains a factory-outlet shop, selling the clothing that it makes at discount prices.
Original information taken from Wikipedia
Distributed under a Creative Commons licence
|Upload Files||Update Listing||Search Similar||Advertise|